Monday, January 17, 2011

Return to Work

Today was my first day back to work. I enjoyed the month off tremendously and wasn’t all too anxious to go back to the office. That was pretty apparent by how poorly I slept last night. I was up several times and stayed awake about an hour before the alarm was supposed to go off. Since it was a holiday for the entire rest of the world, I got up to a quiet house and was able to take my time getting ready. I even remembered to bring myself something to eat for breakfast and lunch. The 35 minute commute flew by and I got more and more anxious the closer I got to the office.

When I arrived at the office, I wasn’t surprised to see the Christmas tree still fully decorated, waiting to be taken down. I wondered how long it would be before someone nagged me to get it out of the lobby. My first order of business was to listen to voice mails and change my outgoing message, another something that they like to complain about. A few coworkers stopped by my office to welcome me back and my boss even called to wish me a great first day back.

At 10:30, my nemesis walked in and his first comment was, “You gonna start cleaning up the mess around here?” I replied with “What mess?” He laughed and said he was just kidding, but was he? Later in the day he stopped by my office and asked if I had graduated, I told him yes and he said, “Are you looking for a new job?” I answered that I was told to, so yes. He replied, “Good.” How’s that for a proper welcome back?

In between those two comments though, he laughed and joked with me. We talked about my time off and his vacation over Christmas, his 50th birthday, etc. He even said something about me getting a high-end job like his and maybe EN could stay home and be a house husband. All seemed well and I’m at a loss as to how to take his comments. I don’t even want to start analyzing the things he said, there’s no point. It’s more obvious than ever that he just wants me gone and will *jokingly* torment me until my final exit. I will forever wonder what it is that I did that scorned this man so terribly.

While I was at work, EN got to spend the day with his chicks. I’m sure (HA!) there was some plan or consideration given to a fun activity that they could do on this holiday without Mama, but Spice wasn’t feeling well so they all took a jammie day. I will say that other than the missing stuffed Chihuahua, the day seemed to be pretty drama free for them.

I spent some time tonight applying for a position at my school. I told the girls that I was going to do this after they went to bed and they said, “But Mama, you don’t have a school any more!” I said, “Oh yes, I’m an alumni… it will always be my school.”

Sounds pretty freakin’ fancy, doesn’t it? 

xoxo
Ice Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment