Friday, October 22, 2010

Little Music Lovers

She’s following me around, booty shaking, one hand on her little hip, other hand pointing at me as she belts out her newest favorite song, “Stuck on You” by Sugarland.

I’m stuck on you
Whoa-oh, whoa-oh
Stuck like glue
You and me baby
We’re stuck like glue
Whoa-oh, whoa-oh

The voice isn’t good and the dance isn’t much better, but the sheer joy on Spice’s face as she sings and dances is priceless. The girls love music and they seem to learn lyrics quickly.

When they are in the car with me, we listen to a lot of country music. It’s one of my favorite genres, but also kid-friendly. There’s not a lot of bad language or “situational” lyrics. The first song they learned the words to and sang as a duet was Kid Rock’s “All Summer Long.” I thought nothing of it until my parents took them on an outing and my angels rocked out while singing:

"While we were trying different things
we were smoking funny things
Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
Sipping whiskey out the bottle not thinking bout tomorrow"

Ok, a little inappropriate, but just because they know the words to a song doesn’t mean they are going to head out to indulge in whiskey and weed, right?

I recently started paying closer attention to other songs they knew and it really seems like they hone in on the bad words. Those words are screamed out with glee, the “boring” lyrics are lost in the shuffle. It’s ok to talk about drinking and smoking if it’s in a song, right? Some examples include

"It’s a quarter after one
I’m a little drunk
And I need you now"
-Lady Antebellum, and

"'Cause I gave up smoking, women and drinking last night
It was the worst fifteen minutes of my life"
-Rodney Atkins

So I consider turning to the Disney station on Sirius for music by Justin Bieber, The Jonas Brothers, etc… but the torture of listening to songs like that can’t compare to Spice turning the highest piece of furniture in any given room into her stage and shouting:

"I got my toes in the water,
ass in the sand
Not a worry in the world,
a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today."

This song, by the Zac Brown Band, thrills her to little bits and pieces. And I’m always there to remind her not to use words like “ass” and “beer”… at least when there are responsible adults around.

No comments:

Post a Comment