Sunday, October 2, 2011

Family Date

Since we put the offer in on the new house, I have been in “hoarding money” mode, knowing that there might come a time when we have to carry two mortgages. It all looks good on paper, but the thought scares the shit out of me. I have even turned down play dates to McDonalds, that $15 might be needed someday. I’ve liquidated stock options (they were due anyway) and I plan on cashing out the CD that is due to be rolled over. All that money will sit in savings in the event that we will need to dip in for monthly bills on two houses. The thought of struggling gives me nightmares.

The closing on the new house has been pushed off and pushed off, so now it looks like we won’t close until October 14, meaning the first month that we might have to pay two mortgages is December. Nice timing for the holidays. We’re smart like that. There has been some interest in our current house and we had two showings this week. One family asked if we would accept an offer contingent on them selling their house. We told them to sell their current house, then make the offer. I know this family loved our house, they stayed here for almost an hour. But an offer with that kind of contingency ups the ante on scary nightmares.

Fly Girl reminded me this week that the greatest fair in our state was going on and I thought I would really like to go with the family. The thought of all that fair food made my mouth water. Life isn’t scary after tossing back fried dough and a blooming onion. We planned to go Saturday, but woke to a pretty steady rain. I’m not the fun mom who thinks schlepping through muddy fairgrounds is a good time. We adjusted our plans and decided to go to the movies instead.

We all really wanted to see Dolphin Tale, but I know Sugar will be going to see that to celebrate her friend’s birthday. We opted for The Lion King even though we have seen it a million times. It was playing in 3D, which meant that tickets for the four of us set us back almost $50 (damn, I remember going to the dollar theater as a teen!), then we added in our vat of popcorn, candy and soda.

The four of us sat there with our dorky 3D glasses on and were riveted to the screen. I had forgotten how much I love that movie. Timon is one of my favorite Disney characters ever, behind Chip and Dale, of course. I guess I have a thing for annoying little big-mouthed characters. We chomped down our industrial-sized bag of popcorn, finishing long before the movie did. We balanced the salt and butter with a bag of Sour Patch watermelon candy and a bucket of Sprite. This is the only time the girls are allowed soda, so you know they sucked that baby back.

We stopped on the way home for a to-go order of the world’s best chicken tenders. We drove home in a car filled with yummy smells, looking forward to a great dinner. We were all content and happy, having gone out together-all four of us-for the first time in a long time.

I hope you feel as content after your weekend as I do. 

xoxo
Ice Princess 

No comments:

Post a Comment