Monday, October 3, 2011

Thirteen Years

I'll always remember the song they were playin',
The first time we danced and I knew,
As we swayed to the music and held to each other,
I fell in love with you.

Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?
Would you be my partner every night?
When we're together, it feels so right.
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?

I'll always remember that magic moment,
When I held you close to me.
'Cause we moved together, I knew forever,
You're all I'll ever need

Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?
Would you be my partner every night?
When we're together, it feels so right.
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?


-Anne Murray 

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary. I should be in the mood to blog some romantic bullshit about how EN is still the love of my life and I’d do it all over again.

For some reason today, I’m thinking more about the actual wedding than the last thirteen years. The wedding I didn’t want to have… I knew it would be up to us to pay for and we had NO money. But when you pay for your own wedding, you get to call your own shots. There’s no father bitching that you are spending a gazillion dollars on filet mignon. No one else’s opinion matters. Your day is actually yours. Had my mother-in-law gotten that memo, the day would have been fabulous. But those are stories for another day.

My favorite memories of that day… That was the only day EVER that my father told me I was beautiful… The dope I married didn’t recognize me when I started down the aisle… The best wedding cake ever (so good in fact, we still go there for birthday cakes!)… EN and Senior dancing on the speakers to YMCA-EN wore an Indian headdress, his dad wore a construction hat. My friend John caught the garter and EN's slutty coworker caught the bouquet. As John was sliding the garter up her leg, she screeched, "Not too high. I don't have any underwear on." You don't find that kind of class just anywhere, folks! I remember standing in the back of the room, taking a breather and looking out at the full dance floor. Everyone was dancing around with their arms in the air, it looked like the front rows of a concert. I remember laughing and dancing and being happy, but I also remember being wildly annoyed by people that need to be the center of attention no matter whose day it is.

We’ve come a long way since then. We’ve changed a lot. We’ve added to our family. The only thing that hasn’t changed is that he’s still the one.

Happy Anniversary!


xoxo
Ice Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment