Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sweet Music

I woke up to a blue-skied, sunny day. I immediately felt better than I did yesterday. Despite my high anxiety level, everything worked out well this morning and we all made it to where we needed to be at the right time.

I know I’ve blogged about my love for music before, but I had such a good “listening” morning, that I can’t stop myself from blogging about the same thing again. My tastes in music are varied. I like everyone from Bruno Mars to Eminem to Kid Rock to the 80’s hair band genre. If I had to choose a favorite style of music today, I would definitely pick country. I love Trace Atkins, Tim McGraw, The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band…. I could go on and on.

Many times I get to where I’m going and I need to immediately get on a computer and look up lyrics to a song that I just heard. I used to keep a notebook in my car just so I could remember everything I wanted to look up or download to my iPod. I found that I did that more once I started listening to satellite radio. I would put on the 80’s station and hear stuff I hadn’t heard in years and didn’t remember until I heard the song again. Anyone else remember “Blame it on the Rain” by Oran Juice Jones or “Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand” by Primitive Radio Gods?  

Music evokes memories for me. I hear a little bit of a song and I’m transported back… Journey reminds me of listening to records with my mom when my dad was on TDY. “Cherish” by Kool and the Gang reminds me of my first kiss. “Boys of Fall” is a newer song, but it still sends me down memory lane to football games at Northwest High School. “Never Say Goodbye” by Bon Jovi reminds me of my high school boyfriend. Steve Miller Band and Bad Company remind me of being the new girl on the high school bus. The memories are vivid and I almost feel like I did back then. Music impacts me profoundly.

Ave Maria, Hallelujah and Amazing Grace can move me to tears in an instant. “All Summer Long” makes me want to get up and dance. Last week during the hockey game, I found that I still have the same reaction to the National Anthem. I cannot make eye contact with anyone because I am near tears. Does everyone have this reaction or am I overly sensitive?

Maybe this is why I so enjoy Dueling Pianos. Everyone requests songs and you are surprised by how many you know. You are invited, encouraged even, to sing along at the top of your lungs. You remember songs you never even realize you kept in your head. Even better, no matter who is in the crowd and how their tastes run, there are songs for everyone. You belt ‘em out loud and proud, no one cares how bad you sound. You are united in lyrics. You make eye contact with people you don’t even know and share a secret smile, embarrassed to admit that you too remember every word from “Elvira”… not that there are many words to know.

The seasons are changing and the girls and I have picked out our summer song for the year. It’s “Felt Good on My Lips” by Tim McGraw. If you haven’t heard it yet, give it a listen. I guarantee you’ll be moving in your seat. It’s a happy song that will make you smile.

Music has been an important part of my relationship with EN too. We’ve gone to many concerts and when we moved in together we found that we had many duplicate cassettes (we are SO old). It’s been pretty easy to figure out which ones we wanted on CD. Most of our wedding decisions were easy to make, except for music… we really wanted everyone to have fun and we wanted to choose songs that meant something to us. The DJ had to play the Pina Colada Song. We wanted to make our entrance to “Born to be Wild.” Our choices set the mood for the evening and our wedding rocked. The dance floor was full all night, especially when EN and his dad got up on speakers and did the Y.M.C.A. Oh yeah.

Years later we hear songs from our wedding and we laugh about different memories. We always laugh when we hear Molly Hatchet’s “Flirting with Disaster.” It wasn’t played at our wedding, but EN used to put that on his stereo and call it romance music. Seriously. And I’m the dork that stuck around. Fast forward to a song that I heard this morning, the latest from Brad Paisley. It's a great tune and Alabama makes a guest appearance. The line that struck me was:

 "Play some back home come on music that comes from the heart,
Play something with lots of feeling, ‘cause that’s where music has to start…"

Maybe EN really knows more than what I give him credit for.

What music moves you? Are my reactions to song abnormal? Tell me what you think… and if you are too shy to comment here, shoot me an email or post on my FB wall. I really am curious.

xoxo
Ice Princess 

No comments:

Post a Comment