Sunday, May 15, 2011

Drama-Free Sleepover Secret!

Since the last sleepover at our house was pretty disastrous, I put a little more thought into this one. It seems that if one chick has a sleepover, the other is in a snit and either doesn’t feel included or is accused of trying to steal the friend. My solution to this problem was to allow both girls to have a friend sleep over.

Sugar came home on the school bus and I shamed her into spending a half hour cleaning her room. She really didn’t need her friend to see what a slob she is. When she was done we headed off to pick up her friend and Spice and her buddy from daycare. Her friend was waiting at the door, anxious to be picked up. The two little ones seemed to have been on cloud nine over their impending date all day and everyone was glad to see those two leave. Four girls squealing in the car are far louder than I thought humanly possible. 

It was a beautiful day so we headed to McDonalds for dinner and outdoor play center. When I walked into McDonalds, the cashiers’ eyes bugged out of her head and she said, “That’s a lot of little girls.” We placed our orders and I was surprised that Sugar and her friend felt they were “too old” for Happy Meals. We headed off to a place to sit and I ended up sitting alone because the girls sat at different tables with two seats each. I was a little miffed that no one would sit with me until Payton’s mom said, “Enjoy the peace.” Duh, why didn’t I think of that?

The friends are good eaters, mine are not. I promised them lots of time at the playground and ice cream afterwards if they would just EAT! After goofing off forever, we finally finished and headed to the play area. It wasn’t open yet. What? It’s the middle of May and 70 degrees out. Little Payton just looked at me and said, “I told you it wasn’t open.” We headed off to a local park but didn’t stay too long. The bugs were bad and Spice had a bathroom emergency. After standing with her in a porta-potty last year while she pooped I was not in a hurry to do that again. The urgency subsided a bit and I was able to stop to get ice cream and chocolate sauce from the store on the way home.

The night was fairly easy. Sugar and her friend were in her bedroom, Spice and her friend were in the family room. Everyone played fairly nicely together. Spice had a fit about something ridiculous and started bitching and crying at her friend. As she ranted, stomped and screamed with her hair flying all over the place, her friend stood still and watched her with a blank, open-mouthed stare. Spice finished her tantrum, her friend didn’t say a word and then they went back to doing whatever it was they were doing before the fit started. They remind me of an old married couple more and more, every time I see them interact.

Sugar and her friend stayed busy with their iPods and DS’s. They made movies of each other and dressed Lola in a variety of outfits. The night was so peaceful that I had the opportunity to finish one book and start another. Bliss.

The littles settled in early and the bigs wanted to stay up as late as they could. I started fading around 11 and went upstairs. I told the big girls to go down to the family room and watch a movie quietly as the little ones were already sleeping there. Instead, they came into my room and sat on the bed and talked to me for an hour. Given the position I was sleeping in when I woke up around 1 am, I think I may have fallen asleep as they nattered on to me.

The morning was easy and the friends went home early. My solution to the sleepover drama was a perfect one. Everyone was entertained and happy and had someone to play with. Even the dogs were played with a lot. And the best part? Everyone was so tired that they all took naps on Saturday afternoon. BONUS!

xoxo
Ice Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment