Friday, February 8, 2013

Chubby Chicks: Week Four


Sometimes we find inspiration in the places we would never expect. Yesterday someone that I just met (five minute beforehand) said to me, “Love who you are.” It was so unexpected and felt so genuine that those few words just took my breath away.

But it’s true. That’s what we women suck at. We all want to be taller, thinner, have different hair, smaller feet, whatever. Find any woman and ask if she’s perfectly happy with the way she looks and she’s likely to answer negatively. Ask her for a “top three” list of things that she could change and I bet she comes up with three almost immediately.

Why are we so hard on ourselves? Why can’t we love who we are? Even more, how can I teach my girls to love who they are? How to embrace the parts of them that might be bigger or smaller than what everyone else thinks is “normal?”

Pardon the rant.

Yesterday should have been the shittiest day on record. I started with a lengthy dental appointment to assess the mess that is my mouth, immediately thereafter was week four at the Chubby Chicks.

First, the dental appointment. I have a fear of going to the dentist and usually need to be medicated heavily for extensive work. Since I broke two teeth in January, I've been trying to wear my big girl pants and get this mess taken care of. I went to see someone who specializes in implants (and not the fun boob kind). When I told Skinny Bitch about the appointment, she said, “Was this a fucking social call or a dental appointment?” The dentist, his assistant and I talked about so many things while he poked and prodded around in my mouth. I never understand how they can comprehend my mumbles. As we talked about the new outlet mall that recently opened, I said that I wasn't buying clothes at the moment. I am waiting until I am a respectable size. He responded, “Love who you are, and you seem to be a pretty great person.”

I type that a day later and my eyes still fill with tears over a near-complete stranger saying something that nice to me. I could brush it off and chalk it up to him wanting my business, but I’d rather believe that we say what we mean and mean what we say. Even if it was a “line,” it made this old girl feel pretty twinkly.

Then I headed off to the weekly meeting at Chubby Chicks and had great news. Down another 2.4 pounds for a grand total of a 7.6 pound weight loss. I’m working it, I’m working it! Insert happy dance with happy, happy feet here.

In the midst of my battle with my weight, I will try to love who I am, and to make sure my daughters do too… Maybe that will be my next pay it forward. The next time I’m in a dressing room somewhere and hear someone complaining about the way they look, I’ll take a moment to say “love who you are.”

I’ll start by saying the same to my 22 readers… love who you are. It'll make you feel twinkly for a little bit too, I promise. 

xoxo
Ice Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment