Monday, February 6, 2012

Another Stupid Bowl

Last year I blogged about the Super Bowl. I even called it the Stupid Bowl. If I had known then what this year would bring, I would have called this year the Stupid Bowl. I don’t have a problem with sports in general, but I do have a problem with poor sportsmanship. I’ve lived in a lot of places in my life, and I can honestly say, there’s nothing more obnoxious than a New England sports fan, whether they win or lose. They were annoying enough before, but now that we have Facebook where anyone can write whatever they want, and it bleeds into your brain, the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl about killed me.

In New England it works like this: we spend the entire sport season rooting our team on, digging on other teams when they win, whining about the bad calls that caused our beloved Patriots/Bruins/Celtics/Red Sox to lose… It is never, ever the fault of the actual players when they lose. God forbid! Something external is ALWAYS blamed for a loss. This phenomena has driven me crazy for years, but this year bothered me worse than any other.

There was just no escaping the constant commentary. Every football game led to post after post with comment after ridiculous comment on Facebook. Without a doubt, Facebook has turned me from someone who could care less about sports, to someone who HATES sports. One person in particular drives me crazy. Any time there’s a game, she fills my newsfeed with a play-by-play account of the game in her badly worded posts, loaded with misspellings and misinformation. I should defriend her, I know I should… she’s turning me into a bitter mean girl (like I needed help!).

And so I’ve suffered dreadfully these last weeks, reading her posts and keeping my mouth shut. If you think biting your tongue is hard, try keeping your fingers from typing.

Last night as we watched the game at our neighbor’s house, I purposely gave EN my phone. I knew I’d start commenting on her irrational shit, just because I had reached the end of my rope. But if I commented, that makes me the same as every other whiner. I have enough issues on my own without becoming some combative Facebooker.

These posts were put up by the same person after the game ended (I left her grammatical errors intact)…

YOU VE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN !!!!!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS ??!!!!! NOW WE CAN ADD ANOTHER TEAM TO OUR HATE LIST NY JETS N NY GIANTS ...AND IM REALLY STARTING TO HATE NY TEAMS !!!!!!!

There are no words to describe the pain in our hearts here in new england we watched a dream yet again slip through our hands to the hands of the Ny Giants , but I will never give up hope that one day we will win ourselves another SB and untill that day ill still love my New England Patriots . I feel sorry for the Kraft family as they wanted this so bad ...... I am sorry . Good Night .....im going to bed now n cry.

Hey at least we made it to one of the best games in nfl history right ?? so thats something to be proud of . some ones got to win n someone has to loose...... Patriots are always going to be winners in my book .

Three separate posts within 30 minutes. I wanted to say, “Please go to bed like you promised in the second post!!”

Being combative is in my blood. I come from a long line. I had a grandfather who argued with everyone over anything. In fact, he was so belligerent; he needed to be restrained in the hospital because he punched a nurse. In the face. Both my parents know everything about everything and the only time one can speak is to agree, and my sister is the same way. It’s taken me years to “unlearn” those traits, being combative, being contrary.

No one likes the girl who argues just for the sake of arguing. No one likes the girl who picks “the other team” just to be mean. No one likes that girl, yet I used to be that girl and I almost became her again, over nothing dumber than a bunch of dumb guys running around wearing tight pants, chasing a ball… Really?

That’s not me. I’m the girl that doesn’t give a shit. What I do care about is that sports don’t matter. In the grand scheme of life, we have our health, our happiness and our families… Who won Stupid Bowl 46 isn’t going to matter the day after, or next week. Take the loss like a grown up, digest it and congratulate the other team. Really, it doesn’t matter. It’s never going to matter… it’s a game, an interruption in this greater game we call life. 

xoxo
Ice Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment